The Vernon Building, originally erected in 1883, is the oldest building remaining in the Old Greensborough Historic District.   It has a long and distinguished history in Downtown Greensboro and has belonged to such owners and occupants as: Virginia Vernon, for whom the building is named, the Vanstory Clothing Company, and the W. T. Grant Co.   In the 1970's its neighboring space to the south was torn down and it has since stood in its current and prominent position at the corner of Washington & Elm.   In 1996 the Vernon Building underwent major restoration and in 1999, after having already been in business for nearly 20 years in Irving Park Plaza, Liberty Oak moved in.
The article to the left is from the Nov. 30th 1916 issue of the Greensobro Daily News and outlines some of the finer details of the building's then occupants, the Vanstory Clothing Company.   We are proud to continue to serve our community as dutifully and graciously as those who previously shared our beloved workspace and strive everyday to see that still, as the article states:
"...not a dollar passes over our counters but that it gets in exchange its full worth in high quality product and service."